Tuesday, December 27, 2011

0 A.D.

Why do I always find out about everything so darn late?

A long time ago, I came across a game called 0 A.D. that appeared to be exactly what I wanted from open source games for a while: Age of Empires but open source and with proper Linux support.  While looking for games to play over the network, I stumbled upon a blog post stating that not only was 0 A. D. playable, it was now in public alpha (despite being open source, it did not provide playable releases for years as far as I could find, and building from SVN is not my cup of tea).

The game is clearly nowhere near finished, but the most important features are there, and they look nice:  a good choice of units, the game is aesthetically pleasing, and the maps are well-made.  On the downside, I could not find any technologies to research, the audio and video feedback is rather limited (difficult to tell who's side soldiers are on) and there is a lot of micromanagement (fields don't auto-rebuild).  I'm guessing that these are simply not fully implemented yet, and that they'll be present in a future release.  A problem that I'm mildly concerned about is the inconvenient way in which walls are built, but perhaps there's simply some mechanic behind that that hasn't yet been added.

All in all, I'm very happy to have come across this.  Despite the missing features, playing online did not feel particularly less fun than Age of Empires, and I hope to find some opponents in the coming time.

No comments:

Post a Comment